You can incorporate tomatoes into your diet in several ways: fresh, dried or as a sauce, salsa or paste. This means you can enjoy delicious tomatoes all year round and in so many ways. Below is a great Charred Onion and Tomato Salad recipe you should try!
- 2 bunches of salad onions, trimmed
- 270g mixed pack of small tomatoes, halved
- 50g bag of watercress
- 1 salad onion, steeped in vinegar
- White wine vinegar, 2 tsp
- Extra virgin olive oil, 2 tbsp
- Wholegrain or Dijon mustard, ½ tsp
- Golden caster sugar, a pinch
- Heat a non-stick frying pan until very hot. Cut the salad onions in half.
- Place the fresh cut side down onto the hot pan for 2 ½ minutes, both sides. Do this until it is charred and tender. Transfer to a plate while you prepare the rest of the salad
- Cook the tomatoes (cut-side down) for 30 seconds to 1 minute until they have softened and caramelised.
- Set the onions aside.
- To make the dressing, put all the ingredients into a jar for some seasoning and shake well.
- When ready to serve, pile the watercress, onions and tomatoes onto a platter.
- Give the dressing a quick shake and drizzle all over the salad.