Our bodies can be very acidic due to many of us consuming too much sugar, so maybe it is time to break this cycle. We must take into consideration the long-term side effects of putting those unwanted calories into our bodies.
A detox alkaline based diet is perfect for those feeling the effects of their indulgent eating habits. A cleansing detox will help you feel energized, revitalise your system, boost positive emotions and restore the skin’s natural glow.
It is a concern how much sugar is present in our everyday diet and how it is increasing. Excess sugar consumption fools your metabolism into turning off the bodies appetite control system. It stops stimulating insulin which can lead them to develop insulin resistance. By eating too much sugar you can develop a variety of symptoms known as classic metabolic syndrome. Symptoms can be weight gain, abdominal obesity, decreased HDL (the good cholesterol), and increased LDL (the bad cholesterol).
Some clinical studies have shown that excess sugars can cause high levels of uric acid which is a risk factor for heart and kidney disease. Many of us indulge in dessert after a big meal, followed by a glass or two of alcohol. Cutting out dessert is not enough to lower our sugar intake as sugar is also present in alcohol and in certain meals. We need to be more conscious of what is in our food, and what we willingly put into our bodies. One clinical study found that fructose and sucrose help to “feed” cancer cells, promote cell division and speed their growth, allowing cancer to spread faster.
Follow this routine for a hassle-free detox:
- Start your day with a glass of hot water with a slice of lemon in it, followed by 1 spoon of organic Spirulina. Or instead, have wheat grass powder in 100 ml of water.
- Wait 20 minutes and then drink one bottle of Pure Gold Collagen® before you have your breakfast.
- Why not try a fresh breakfast with fruits like banana, yogurt, berries and cinnamon powder either in porridge or on top of avocado on toast?
- After breakfast, do a light 15 minutes of stretching, deep breathing exercise and then a mild yoga session. You can easily find a helpful YouTube link if you’re new to yoga!
The thought of doing a cleansing diet can be daunting but it shouldn’t be! Here are 5 tips to help you succeed in your diet:
- Make sure you have an exercise routine that makes you sweat i.e. Zumba, Yoga, Pilates, cardio, running, cross-training.
- Avoid sugary food for 1 month.
- Avoid drinking tea or coffee first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Eat some nuts, seeds or fruit before drinking tea or coffee.
- Avoid alcohol for 1 month.
- Try to eat healthier, homecooked foods such as soups, grilled vegetables, fish, steamed rice, warm salads, seasonal vegetable stews and stir-frys.
All you need to remember is that the body needs to be rebalanced, rehydrated and recharged so you can be the best you there is and make sure your body keeps up with you.